Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Writing

Today in class we discussed what would be considered good writing. When I think of good writing, I think about those things that I've read that have made me feel something (evoked some emotions). For example, I have read some really good books that have made me cry. I've also read some books where I don't like the ending because it is not a happy one but it stirred a lot of emotions. In some of the books I have enjoyed reading I have rooted for the protagonist and held a strong dislike for the antagonist.At the same time, I have also sympathized for the antagonist. These feelings stem from the good writing--the author's ability to construct a story selecting the appropriate words. Good writing gets the reader involved, whether it be through vivid descriptions that allow the reader's imagination to paint pictures of the story or whether it is through writing something that has universal appeal so that it is something people can relate to. A perfect world is impossible to relate to, but when there is struggle, happiness, sadness, disappointment, wonder---these various emotions are all encompassing of human nature and something that is a reality of human experience. Something that leaves me resonating, anticipating, curious, or makes me feel inspired is good writing. I also think that good writing has a sincere, genuine voice. Writing that stands out to me has a level of uniqueness and a distinct style like David Foster Wallace. The books that make you forget about where you are and who you because you're so engrossed---make me feel like I am in the book, have been good ones. In terms of academic writing, I think word choice, grammar, and organization are all important. It is important because you have to convey your thoughts through words without the support of conversation, tone, pitch, body language, etc., which all help others understand what it is you want to express. If the spelling or grammar is off, I think it not only distracts the reader from your writing but you lose credibility, and sometimes you may end up giving off the wrong message. I remember in high school we had college representatives come and speak to us about applying to their institution and one rep. said that be sure that your essays are error free. To illustrate why he shared with us that there was one applicant who mentioned she volunteered at a hospital as a candy stripper instead of a candy striper. The list could go on about the characteristics of strong writing from making good connections, to using variety in language. I think it is extremely challenging to write well and it takes a lot of thought, time and effort to make it excellent. Even after I have submitted several final drafts throughout my years of school, I still have not been completely satisfied and there is always something to improve. But one thing that has consistently helped me with my writing is reading. And whenever I have writer's block, I find the best remedy for that is to go out and do something--experience something---try something new whether it be going to a movie, a school play, a concert, football game, or simply calling up an old friend.

No comments: